Wednesday, May 22, 2013

An Update


Hi, everyone!  No, I haven’t dropped off the face of the earth!!  And yes, I still owe you pictures and a description of our wedding celebration. 
This week the SI summer kicked off.  We have two-week Outreach Teams from now through the beginning of August.  It’s an intense, busy time, and I have to admit, I’m a bit sad not to be climbing onto the trucks and heading to El Callejon with Daisy and the students!   I am getting to interact with them in other ways, but I do miss the daily time at the Social Work Site.  But, the new HR position is keeping me hopping!
Carlos and I have been working hard on translating the 41 page policy manual I drafted for the DR ministry.  We sit side-by-side and he reads my English and very handily translates it into excellent Spanish.  Even though his English is awesome, at times I have to interpret the “HR-speak” I’ve used.  Like all professions, Human Resources has a way of phrasing things that isn’t typically used in every day conversation! 

We are hoping to meet soon with the Dominican SI uses to help with all the labor and legal aspects of our ministry.  I’m excited to get some of my questions about the Codigo de Trabajo (labor codes) answered!
We’ve also been getting used to living in close quarters.  My studio apartment was small for one, but for two it’s a bit of a squeeze.  We moved some things around in the closet to make a bit of space for our quiet times… so we literally have a ‘prayer closet’ now!    

But, God is amazing, and has provided a new place for us to live at the end of the summer.  Missionary friends of ours are heading back to the US, and we will rent their lovely home.  It’s bittersweet because it’s one of the families we’re closest to!  But, we are so thankful to have a larger place to look forward to living in. 
And… since we’ll have extra rooms, we’ll be able to host friends and family and other visitors (hint hint!).  We want our home to be a place of respite and relaxation for others.  
We are continuing to plug into our new church, El Buen Samaritano.  SI will have some of the summer teams worship there… which means I’ll have to be the translator!  It’s always easier to translate into your own language, so that’s good.  But, I’m pretty nervous, as I’ve never had to do more than a few minutes at a time in front of a large group! 

This past Sunday I was trying to translate in my head as the pastor spoke, and I only had a few times I couldn’t completely understand.  When we talked with him about it after worship, he joked that I could just preach a different sermon if I get confused!  I'm praying it doesn't come to that!!
My friend and co-missionary, Rachel, has started a medical clinic once a week in Mata de Platano, the community where Carlos’ family lives.  We are thrilled!  As much as she is going to bless the community, we pray they will bless her, too, with their love and friendship. 
To us, that’s what being the Body of Christ is all about – each one of us has something to share with others to help us all glorify God.  Some of us, like Rachel, have a specific area of expertise.  Others, like Carlos’ mom, have a welcoming spirit and deep faith. 

Please pray for Carlos and me as we continue to get used to each other, and continue to seek God’s will for us as a married couple.  We remain humbled at God’s provision to each of us in the other, and want to share the hope we have in Him with others.  He truly is restoring the years the locusts have eaten. 

We can never repay Him, of course, and we know our entire lives here – and for eternity – will not be long enough to thank Him.  Our desire is to pour out our lives in His service.  Not because it saves us, but because He already has.  To Him be all the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment