Friday, June 17, 2011

Los Dos Patos

Yesterday I went to Walmart to pick up pictures from my time in MTI and to buy a few more last minute things.  I remember after being flooded out during Hurricane Floyd, I went to Walmart and Target almost every day.  Not for huge amounts of things.  I seemed to only be able to buy a couple of things at a time. 

It feels a little the same now.  I try to write out my list, but keep forgetting things.  Thankfully, it's only a mile to get there!  I'm sure there's some psychological reason for why this is happening again.  Probably something to do with feeling out of control, etc. 

On my trip yesterday, I found some little plastic ducks.  I had wanted to make my very own Yay Duck and Yuck Duck.  So I did.  Here's a picture of them.  They're kind of cute, aren't they?  (I wrote about it while I was at MTI: http://kimheartselcallejon.blogspot.com/2011/05/pair-of-ducks.html)

It's such a simple thing, but I find myself going back to it again and again.  

Yay Duck - I sold my furniture to a very good friend who really could use it.  Yuck Duck - with each thing gone, my place is getting less and less like a home.  Right now I'm sitting on a footstool with my laptop on my coffee table.  I'm sleeping on an air mattress so it feels a bit like I'm camping!   

Yay Duck - dinner last night with dear friends.  Yuck Duck - realizing that it's probably going to be at least a year before I see them again.  Each meal is a 'last supper' of sorts.  It's great to have time with those who have meant so much, but it's hard to say the things I want to say.  It still feels like I'm going to see them one more time!   

Yay and Yuck.  The Spanish word for Duck is El Pato.  I'll have to wait to learn words for Yay and Yuck (somehow El Pato Contento y El Pato Repugnante don't exactly roll off the tongue!).  In the meantime, I will continue to remind myself that God has been with me through all my Yays and Yucks.  He has been with those I am leaving, with those I am going to meet. 

I can't wait until I can share my story, share my "Patos", with my Guatemala family, and then with the women, teens and girls of El Callejon.   I can't wait to share the story God has been writing - and to hear (and understand!) the stories of others.  Now, back to packing... 

2 comments:

  1. Love it! My ducks are definitely going with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are right there with you...no more couches or kitchen table, and we are on air mattresses this week too. And as my daughter said after our going-away party today at church "It's just so HARD to say goodbye!"

    ReplyDelete