Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 26

Be Still:  Dear Father, we have fallen away from You.  Thank you that Jesus did not.  Please forgive us and renew in us a steadfast spirit.  In Jesus’ name, and through the power of the Holy Spirit, Amen

Be Strengthened:  Matthew 26:31-38
31Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: 'I will strike the shepherd, the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' 32But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee."
33Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will."
34"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "this very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times."
35But Peter declared, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the other disciples said the same.
36Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." 37He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."

Be Stretched:  In yesterday’s passage Jesus said one of the disciples would betray Him.  Today we read that all the rest would fall away.  After these troubling words, Jesus goes to Gethsemane to pray, taking along Peter, James and John.  Think of when you were the most sorrowful and overwhelmed you have ever been.  Spend time reflecting on Jesus' moving and anguished words.  Thank Him that He can understand your pain because He endured it with you, for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment