Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 25

Be Still:  Dear Father, thank you for Jesus’ body, broken for us.  Thank you for Jesus’ blood, shed for the forgiveness of our sins.  In His name, through the power of the Holy Spirit, Amen

Be Strengthened:  Matthew 26:20-30
20When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. 21And while they were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me." 22They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, "Surely not I, Lord?"
23Jesus replied, "The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born."
25Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, "Surely not I, Rabbi?" Jesus answered, "Yes, it is you." 26While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body."
27Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. 28This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29I tell you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom." 30When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
Be Stretched:  Jesus had washed the disciples feet, talked with them about someone called the Counselor and Spirit of truth, and told them someone there would betray Him.  And after all of that, He took bread and wine and said it was His body and blood.  Today, take some time to try and put yourself in the disciples’ place during this intense Passover meal.  Try to imagine the various emotions they must have felt.  Then, thank our loving Father that through the Holy Spirit we now understand what must have been very confusing to the disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment