Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Beginning My Small Part

This week I began my very small part in God’s amazing work in El Callejon.  I had forgotten what an exhilarating, exhausting thing this is! 

This week we have teams of adults from Florida and Nebraska ministering with SI.  Our site has two amazing women, Lee and Shannon.  Lee is a mother and grandmother, and has traveled to more than 30 countries with an organization called Musicianaries International, where musicians use their creative gifts to help bring the gospel to the world.  Shannon is an elementary school teacher who also leads high school girls.  Watching the little girls respond to her today, I know she must be a wonderful teacher. 
The girls show off their cute new pencil-cases!
Both women are so caring and compassionate, and have jumped right in.  Today we had a craft with the little girls.  I think I’ve shared before Daisy’s abilities to do almost anything with almost any material.  Today was little felt pouches for pencils.  The girls were energetic but very sweet, and proud of their handiwork!

While we ate lunch, the three of us brainstormed some ideas to share with the teenage girls.  Daisy’s concern is that while they know the right answers, they need to live what they know to be God’s will.  I don’t know about you, but that’s a daily struggle for me, too!! 
It was great to work together sharing ideas back and forth.  We decided to talk about how we can live a life that shows Jesus to the world, using the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).  We would tackle just the first one, Love, for this week.  In the coming weeks, Daisy and I could build on this, going through the other fruit one-by-one.

Shannon shared with us about someone who has been very unkind to her, making untrue comments behind her back, but being friendly to her face.  Shannon said she has had to really work at being loving in return.  She has asked God for the strength to pray for this person.  We thought this situation would be something teenage girls could relate to. 
Daisy would be there to help, but I was going to be introducing the topic, asking the questions, and translating for Shannon… all in Spanish.  At first there were only four girls.  Okay, I can do this.  Then more came.  And more.  And more!  Before we knew it, the room was filled with more than a dozen teens!  Okay, deep breath.

But, you know what, it was awesome.  The girls seemed to understand what I said, and responded to our questions.  It was great to hear all the conversation, although I wasn’t able to catch everything they said.  They were amazed at Shannon’s being able to pray for the other person.  She made sure to say that it was hard, especially at first. 
Daisy asked them who in the group shows Jesus to others.  It was great to hear them talk about each other in positive ways.  We encouraged the girls to help each other in this.  It’s hard, especially some days, I told them.  But, that’s when we need to help each other.  All by myself, I cannot show Jesus to the world, but together we can. 

I’m sad that Lee and Shannon won’t be with me as I continue to help teach the girls about the rest of the fruit.  But… just as God provided just the right people to be a part of this week’s team, I know He will continue to provide others to come alongside!    
Daisy is amazing, amazing, amazing.  I know I am going to learn so much from her.  Please pray for us in the next months as we partner together to continue to share how much Jesus loves El Callejon – and, as we look outward to other communities, too!  The need is great, the work is huge, and at times tremendously discouraging, but our God is able to do far more than we could ask, or even imagine!  I am so privileged to serve Him. 

P.S.  I found out that there is an El Callejon Social Work site!  As soon as Daisy has time to show me, I’ll be sure to pass it along.  And… since she doesn’t enjoy writing quite as much as I do, I’ll hopefully get to do some writing for it, too!

3 comments:

  1. With thre redesign of your blog (which looks great) I am for the first time seeing your contact information. I have been following your blog for about a year or so, and have so enjoyed your journey. You have been an inspiration, to say the least.

    I wonder if the Lord has something in mind, since just today I realized (because of the contact info) that you are with Students International in Visalia. I was born in Visalia, and still live there. Maybe someday that will be important.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful God we have and serve! He knows you and provides for you the things you need for His work including placing the right people to help you.

    Thank you for sharing with us. The fruit of the Spirit is very important and definitely something that takes time to grow. A daily needed reminder!

    Sending many hugs! Love Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your new blog!! And picture!! So excited that you have such wonderful women helping you on your first "official" week!! Will keep praying :)

    ReplyDelete