Thursday, August 18, 2011

El Cielo y La Piña

My homework assignment yesterday was to write something using Past, Present and Future tenses.  I decided to share something that I've thought about in English. 

Basically, for me, Earth is like pineapple in the U.S. and Heaven is like pineapple in the Dominican Republic.  The pineapple I ate in the U.S. seemed really good until I tasted pineapple in the D.R.  It made me think about how we think things here in the world are pretty good, but compared to what they'll be like in Heaven, they are like the kind of acidic pale tasting pineapple of my youth. 

Since we are made for Heaven (Philippians 3:20) nothing here quite tastes right because our citizenship is in Heaven.  So, when I think about Heaven, I think about pineapple.

It was challenging to try and find the words I knew to say what I wanted to say.  I wanted to see if I could do it without using 'Google translate'!  I didn't quite get the Preterit and Imperfect tenses right, but I felt good about the fact that my teacher understood what I was trying to share.  In case you are interested, below is what I wrote (corrected!) 

And... I invite you to come and taste the pineapple of the D.R. with me and see what I mean!  I bought my plane ticket yesterday.  Primero Dios (the Lord willing) I'll fly over on September 22!! 

El Cielo y La Piña
Cuándo yo pienso sobre el cielo yo siempre recuerdo la piña.  Usted pensará yo estoy loco, no?  Yo voy a explicar!
Cuándo yo era una niña, mi mamá hacía gelatina con piña de una lata.  Yo pensaba que era delicioso.  Yo no sabía que piña de una lata no es buena porqué yo no comía una piña fresca.  Aún cuándo yo tenia más años, la piña que yo comía no era buena porqué la piña no la cultivan los estados unidos.
Dos años después, yo fui a la Republica Dominicana.  Yo comía piña, pero no como la piña que yo comí antes.  Esta piña era la mejor piña que yo comía en toda mi vida.  Yo me dí cuenta que la otra piña era fingida la piña que cultivaba en la Republica Dominica.  Cuándo yo regresé a los estados unidos, yo sabía que la piña no era la misma.  
Hay cosas en el mundo que parecen buenas y hermosas, pero ellas son como la piña en los estados unidos.  Cuándo nosotros estaremos en el cielo, encontraremos que las cosas buenas aqui eran fingidas.
Nosotros “somos ciudadanos del cielo, de donde anhelamos recibir al Salvador, el Señor Jesucristo" (Filipenses 3:20).  Nosotros pensamos que este mundo es bueno ahora, pero en el cielo toda será buenísimo!  Un día, nosotros comeremos piña real porqué nosotros estaremos en nuestra casa verdadera.
Pues, cuando yo pienso sobre el cielo yo recuerdo la piña.
(Si la piña en la Republica Dominicana -y en Guatemala! - es tan delicioso, yo no puedo esperar comer la piña en el cielo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment