Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Las Cronicas

One of my favorite things to do is sit outside and read.  Some of my favorite books of all time are The Chronicles of Narnia.  The first time I heard the story of Peter and Susan and Edmund and Lucy was when I was around eight years old, and my mom read aloud to my sister and me.  I have the books in English, and also on CD to listen to when I walk. 

Before heading down here, I went onto Amazon and ordered them en espanol.  Since I know the stories so well, I thought it would be a great way to practice my Spanish – especially since it’s mostly in the past tense!  And, once I get to El Callejon, perhaps I can read them to the kids there.
Lucia y el fauno Senor Tumnus
Close to my house is a little park.  On Saturday Myles, Haley and I spent some time there reading.  Yesterday I went back – the rain stayed away!  I brought along Las Cronicas de Narnia.  I'm most familiar with The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, so I started with it. 

view from my park-bench
church La Escuela de Cristo
across from the park
At some point I realized, Wow, I’m sitting on a bench… in Antigua, Guatemala… reading Narnia… in espanol… and I’m actually understanding a lot of it!! 
someone pinch me!
For a moment, I had to stop reading and just look around, savoring how amazing it was.  God is so good! 
An update on Dona Cristi:  She has been diagnosed with some form of bacteria.  Her daughter found a new doctor for her who is interested in finding the cause of the problem, not just treating symptoms.  She has good days and bad days, and is still very weak.  She’s able to keep some solid food in her, but after nearly 10 days with very little besides liquids, it’s going to take a while for her to regain strength.
She’s been eating with us again, and always asks about our days.  And, she still makes sure we get plenty to eat!  Cristina asked me if I wanted one taco or two.  One, I said.  Two, said Dona Cristi.  Two, it was!
One prayer request:  One of my friends leaves this Friday, and my housemates leave the following week.  I’m going to be sad to say goodbye!  And, I’m a little anxious about being friendless.  Yeah, it’s silly of me, as God has continued to surprise and delight me with His loving provision in new friends, a wonderful Ama de Casa, etc… but, I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t on my mind!
Thanks, friends, for your continued interest and support and prayers!  What a joy to be able to share a bit of my journey with all of you!  What a gift to serve our God together!
Time to take a look at irregular verbs in the past preterit tense!  Until next time, kjs :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment