Saturday, April 12, 2014

And Whatever You Do


And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.  Colossians 3:17

My “Whatever” for the past several weeks has included working in El Callejon with Spring Outreach teams, a visit from my friends Haley and Lisa, translating at church, helping with a two-week Sewing Class, meetings with staff, spending time with friends and family in Mata de Platano, and preparing the staff Pulga (yard sale). 

Looking back, there have been times when I have done things in the name of Jesus, when I have given thanks to God.  Disappointingly, there have also been times when I have grumbled, complained, and been anything but thankful. 

I’ve noticed that I tend to be most aware of Jesus with me, most inclined to be grateful, when I am doing the things I consider meaningful and/or important.  I compartmentalize my life, calling some parts ‘ministry’, some parts ‘down-time’, some parts spiritual, and other parts ‘secular’.  It matters that I have the proper attitude when it is ministry or mission or church or spiritual.  When it isn’t, well, then I can do and be however I please.

Somehow I act like this is how God sees things, too.  But, the life of Jesus was an integrated life.  Whether He was healing the sick, teaching His disciples, relaxing in Martha’s home, rebuking Pharisees, or eating tax collectors and sinners, He did it all in the same manner. 

And whatever you do.   I pray I will learn to ‘do it all’, whatever the ‘it’ may be, in the name of the Lord Jesus.  I pray I will learn to give thanks to God for the privilege and opportunity of serving Him in whatever ways He places before me.  I pray I will see my life, not as segregated, but integrated, and then do it all to the glory of God.

Some of my 'Whatevers' from the past weeks:


Bible lesson with our Young Women's group in El Callejon.
I love see them with their Bibles, taking notes!!

teaching students about the history and culture of the DR.
Carlos makes sure everyone laughs at my jokes! :O)

Sewing classes in El Callejon.
Around 15 women were blessed to learn new alteration skills.
So fun to have a visit from Haley (and her mom). 
Haley and her husband were my favorite housemates 
when I was in Guatemala for language school.
Back then, she had to do all the translating!  Now, I do alright!

two of my closest friends, Karen and Margot.  Both are creative,
both enjoy sewing, and both love Jesus with all their hearts!

 
final moments before opening the doors to the Pulga.
(In the background you can see the staff ready to run in!)

 
possibly my favorite picture ever.  Enjoying an afternoon with
our friends Karen and Kenny in beautiful Mata de Platano!

I pray that whatever your whatevers may be, you, too, will accept the loving admonishment to do it all in the name of Jesus, giving thanks to God our Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment